Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Worth

Every person in this world has worth. Too often when we look at the people in our lives -- or even strangers half a world away -- and we analyze them; who they are or what they have. Then we categorize people into two groups.

In one group we place people we believe have value. We review their skills, abilities, knowledge and contacts and wonder what does that person have that can help me? In this world, society constantly encourages us to improve ourselves and our positions. So as we look out on our world, we are constantly seek people who will help us climb to that next step.

In the second group, we see people we can help - the poor, the homeless, the downtrodden, the disadvantaged, the ill, the disabled, children, elderly. We volunteer our time and efforts or donate money. Let's admit, it makes us feel good. Then these people are forgotten and we work on culling value from the first group.

Sadly, the people in the second group also have much to offer this world, if only we would take the time to discover that. They have talents and skills. They have experiences from which we can learn when we take the time to do so.

Everyone wants to feel useful. Everyone needs to feel needed. Everyone has something to contribute. We should not dismiss someone as having no value because they don't have the money, education or background we believe is valuable.

At one time in my life, I lost the roof over my head and a friend who couldn't afford to pay her electric and phone bills took me in and gave me a place to sleep.

A family I knew that had so very little still insisted on sharing their lunch with me. I can't tell you how much I appreciated that half of a tuna-fish sandwich.
A 9-year-old showed me how to navigate on YouTube; then I taught my 68-year-young mother.
A 16-year-old told me that I was the first adult who honestly wanted to hear his opinion on something.
I listen and learn from everyone I can.

In fact, the more a person's experience differs from ours, the more that person has to share with us. For you see, each of us can only live in this world for such a small period of time. We cannot experience all there is to experience. The world is too vast and there are innumerable paths to life here.

But we can learn much more by reaching out to ALL fellow human beings and learning what they have to share with us. What they share can be far more valuable that you'll ever imagine.

Reach out.
Share.

-ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment