Monday, May 4, 2009

Poems from Puberty (Poems)

Today I don't have much time to dedicate to a blog, so I thought to share something with my readers instead.

My niece / god-daughter is 13 ("going on 14") and is -- like her aunt before her -- trying her wings in creative writing. Below are some of her recent poems I wanted to share:

Be there

When you were young
We were there
To show we care
When you grew,
You said you knew
Did you?


Live

Wait and stare, watch and listen
Be with myself at mind, heart, and soul
Pure with blood fair and sweet
Kind and good
Love grows fast and sticks


My Soul

What breathes in me
What I'll be
Who I am
I breathe and live
I talk
But I love


God

Oh, holy thou
Be with me you are my eyes
My ears
My flesh
My body
My blood


Dawn

The breath of day
It takes thou' away
I watch the sun set and the moon rise
It begins to fill my eyes
I wait and wonder
I began to ponder
It is here the break of day
Yet, it makes me feel gay (happy)


I also wrote poetry as a teenager (though much longer poems - LOL). Here is one that was published in 1986, written a month after my 17th birthday:

Confused Times
(c) 9/16/1986
.
The cold wind blows hard against my back
But I enjoy the cold, I said.
Just as I enjoy the thrill
Of a different journey.
But just what is a different journey?
A different challenge in life?
Or is it a different life itself?
.
The wind lashes across my face.
Now I see all my mistakes.
What is happening to my life now?
The trail is disappearing fast.
I can no longer see my feet.
And no longer can I reach my star.
.
The wind tosses my hair about.
I'm so confused as to what life's about.
Is there a goal waiting for me?
I must move on, headstrong, and see.
.
God is the One who makes the wind blow.
I hear His voice upon the breeze.
But what is His message about?
How could I figure it out?
.
The sky is clear and blue.
The clouds move swiftly in the wind.
The sun peeks out through the leaves.
And the wind roars overhead.
.
But now I'm quiet,
Taking time out for myself.
I listen to the voice of God
As it sails by my ears.
.
Then, I sit back
And think
Of a goal I wish to reach,
My eternal home.
.
- ESA
PS: Feel free to copy, repost or redistribute my poem, but all rights are retained by my niece for hers, so please respect her poems and do not copy, repost or redistribute those without first obtaining permission. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment