Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Listening

How often do we stop and listen - really listen - to what people are saying or trying to tell us? I'll admit, I'm as guilty as others of looking for some point or reference we can use to springboard our own thoughts, insights or comments.

Today, I had an eye-opening moment where I stopped dead and started to read and listen to what someone was telling me. This wasn't something they were saying from their head; it was coming from their heart - from a life of experience and a perspective that was different from any I've experienced in my life and one I really should take the time and effort to learn about and understand.

It takes a lot to keep putting the words out there over and over until someone actually stops and listens. I imagine that there were very many times that she did the same with others and people "listened" politely and never really heard what she said. It takes a special and strong character to keep trying to reach out to others after seeing that time and time again.

And I'm grateful that she took the time to keep up with me until that "ah-ha" moment when what she was saying started to sink in.

How often do I listen - really listen - to people and hear what comes from their heart? I thought I did all the time, but it takes these special "ah-ha" moments -- and more important special people like this woman who helped me open my eyes -- to really see that I don't as often as I thought I did.

Thank you, my friend.

Listen
Hear
Open my eyes and my heart

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment