Monday, May 13, 2013

Beneath the Cover

In 14 years of Human Resources, I've collected my share of stories about candidate interviews.
I've seen a job applications completed in lipstick, eye liner and even a green crayon, despite there being pens in the reception area.
I've had a young man take out his cell phone, initiate a call to his friend, have a 20 minute conversation (during a 30 minute interview), and then ask if he got the job.
But the most memorable is the following story:

As a Recruiter at one company, I found the perfect candidate for an managerial position. Every one of the senior staff agreed after several phone interviews. His references were top notch. We hired him and asked when he could start.
The Texan said he and his wife could be in Connecticut to start his job Monday. They arranged for a local hotel to stay until they found a place, and headed out.
Monday came; the new hire didn't show.
He didn't call.
He didn't answer his cell phone.
On Tuesday, he was still a "no show."
By Wednesday, I had no choice. I called the "Number 2" candidate and gave him the job.
We all wondered what happened to the first choice. In the end, we concluded that he got a better offer elsewhere and we would never hear from him again.
Nearly a month later, the receptionist transfers a call into my office. "It's the no-show asking if the job is still open."
I was a little irked that he had the nerve to call after all this time of silence. I used my "official HR" voice to explain that since he didn't show, nor call, nor answer his phone, we gave the job to someone else. 
Then he told me why he didn't show that Monday...
Somewhere in Virginia, on the drive from Texas to Connecticut, his car was struck in a head-on collision with a truck. He had been in a coma all this time. His wife is still in the hospital.
He had the paperwork from the police, doctors and hospital ready to testify this was the absolute truth.
Now that he was out of work with massive amounts of medical bills, he was willing to take any job. It didn't have to be the manager's position, just any job to help pay the bills. I could hear him choke up begging me for a job.
Unfortunately, I had no job to give him...

There are times when we hear something completely different than what we expect to hear. We go into a situation belieiving we know the whole story.
There could be a different story beneath the cover.

What is under the cover
Of each person we find
Take time to listen
To find story behind

~ESA

1 comment: