Saturday, May 11, 2013

Womanhood Day

This week's TV and radio have mentioned Mother's Day non-stop ~ at least it seems that way to me.
Mother's Day has become a Blessing and a curse. On one hand I am fortunate enough to have my mother and god-mother still alive. (My dad passed away years ago; I haven't seen my god-father since my Baptism as an infant.)
On the other hand, my only pregnancy ended in a miscarriage that hemmoraged so badly I nearly lost my life. Several years later, I was told it would be life-threatening to get pregnant again. Within a year, malformations and growths led to a complete hysterectomy. My "ovaries" are now a daily chemical through my skin; half my vagina is gone. I couldn't feel less like a mother.
We tried to adopt, for we love kids and wanted to share our lives with them. At $25,000-$50,000 per child, standard adoption was beyond our means.
We worked with DCF, as they cover the adoption costs. We planned to adopt an older child or sibling group, as many are left behind when parents desire an infant. We reached the point where they see the place the kids would reside. We cannot afford a large enough space to meet DCF's requirements. :*(
We are still in that tiny apartment, and my nieces and nephews have grown up. There's no more visitors to steal the freshly-baked cookies, ask for help with their homework, or invite us to their school show.
In short, while I wish all the mothers out there a Happy Mother's Day, my heart goes out to mothers-that-cannot-be.
Some women hurt each time we hear how "motherhood is the epitome of being a woman" or that "motherhood is God's greatest calling for a woman." Perhaps it is for SOME women, but not all.
God also created women who cannot be mothers, for one reason or another. God's plans for these women are no less important.
So on this festive weekend celebrating a fertility that I will never have, I wish to all my sisters out there:
HAPPY WOMANHOOD DAY!
There is a LOT more to being a woman than just being able to raise children.
~ ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment