Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Purpose for Pain

I had a discussion with someone today, who thought that seeing a purpose for the chronic pain I experience was foolishness. While I disagree, it would be “foolish” to argue the point with him. Instead, I thought to share my insight on this blog.
First, pain makes us realize that something is wrong. Too often we try to alleviate the pain but do not look into the root cause of the problem, whether this is physical, mental, emotional or spiritual pain. So when there is pain, something needs to be soothed, but also fixed/corrected.
Second, pain is an opportunity to learn humility. Please understand I don’t imply that one needs to be put through pain or humiliation to “learn humility.” In our day-to-day struggle, we reach a point when we experience pain. When the pain becomes unbearable, we realize we do not have the resources alone to overcome the problem. We need to tell the ego, “You are not enough” and open ourselves to assistance. This calls for humility.
Third, pain presents a beautiful opportunity to pray. We can pray for the pain to subside, for comfort, for guidance, for healing. But even more important, when we admit to others that we need help, we open ourselves to become an opportunity for others to pray as well. Any connection to the Divine is a blessing to the soul, yours and others.
Forth, pain provides those around you an opportunity to do some good in the world. This can range from help at home, to help at work, to assistance from a stranger with lifting groceries into the car or holding open a door. Every bright moment helps create a better world.
Fifth, pain can also teach us to use our minds better. We can focus on the negative – the pain. Or we can use our mind to focus on positive images, prayers, meditation, healing, etc. It is something we can all learn. Research has shown that our mind / thoughts do directly affect our physical bodies and well being. Instead of focusing on the bad; we can learn to focus on the good.
Sixth, I found that I needed to learn how to accept healing, prayers and blessings from others. I needed to accept that I was worthy of both God's Love and theirs, and I had to learn how to open myself to these. This, I admit, I am still trying to learn. There have been many stumbling blocks I’ve put down over the years. But, at last, they are starting to lift.
Seventh, it is a means through which I learn about and understand pain others in this world suffer. It is not a pleasant lesson, but it evokes a great amount of compassion and acknowledgment at the strength found in those who deal with pain over many years, especially those who cannot easily alleviate the pain.
Finally, I have also not let the pain go to waste; I lift the pain as an offering to others of this world. While I know I am not Christ, I am a Christian. I try to follow in His steps. I know He offered His own pain as an offering. While I am already experiencing pain, rather than self-inflicting or inflicting it on others, perhaps this suffering can be used to some good in this world. Even if it is something beyond my understanding...
~ ESA


No comments:

Post a Comment