Sunday, June 24, 2012

Jealousy Bug

This morning, I was bitten by the jealousy bug. I swung by Twitter, where I saw several group responses (including my username), and worked my way down to the initial tweet. It was a blogpost, for which my name was included in a previous request.
Someone has gotten others around the world to pray for America for a two-week session. Each day he posts something of prayer. Friday, he tweets to this group: "if God leads 2 a Prayer focus for this, Let me know and I will add it to the 14 Day prayer blog and you will get the mention. I need Prayer Focus/Bible verse too"
There is a lot of hatred and animosity over several differences of opinion in the US; it jumps to a new intensity within election season. Last time, someone was shot - literally - over it. So, as we are praying for America, its leaders, voters and people in general, my focus has been on establishing more Peace, forgiveness and compassion for each other. I want to erase all the hatred and dividing lines, helping others to see each other as sisters and brothers.
So, I gathered several bible passages that seemed to embody this sentiment of my soul. I sent a DM (Twitter direct message) to him and members of the group: Prayer focus 4 me:Mark 11:25~Luke 6:42~1 Cor 13:13~Numbers 14:19-20~Isaiah 43:25~Matt 6: 9-15~Luke 11:1-4~Hebrews 10:15-18 (sorry no rhyme)
While intention seemed clear to me at the time, I must admit in hindsight that it's a bit vague and may even appear accusatory. There was no direct correlation with the request above, just a string of bible passages.
Mark 11:25 - But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.
Luke 6:42 -  How can you think of saying, 'Friend, let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye.
1 Corinthians 13:13 - Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love.
Numbers 14:19-20 - "In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now.” The Lord replied, “I have forgiven them, as you asked."
Isaiah 43:25 - I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.
Matt 6: 9-15 - "This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today your daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
Luke 11:1-4 - One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples." He said to them, "When you pray, say: "'Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation.'"
Hebrews 10:15-18 - The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says: "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more." And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.
So, reading the blog post this morning, I discovered a good introduction how there are people as far as South Africa praying for America these two weeks. There are several quoted prayers, but my ego had - by then - taken the reigns. I scrolled rapidly down the page, looking for my username. When I discovered it wasn't there, I became outraged, jealous that other names were there and that my own input had been seemingly ignored completely.
WHO DO I THINK I AM???
First, anything and EVERYTHING I do and say, especially under the username @JesusSister, should be for God's glory ALONE! Second, I was the one clearly in error for I never elaborated on the prayer intent, just callously rattled off bible verses and assumed the recipient would read my mind. Third, I never read the rest of that blogpost, or their prayers and intentions, but was focused solely on seeing if the spotlight fell onto my own name. I had become so wrapped up in myself. Me, me, ME!
How our proper priorities change and our world crumbles when we let the ego out to play. 
 
I am ashamed...


No comments:

Post a Comment