Friday, April 6, 2012

Sunrise Service (Poem)

Each Easter, regardless of with which family my husband and I celebrate, a tradition is to drive out to the remote corner of southeastern Connecticut and help my mother-in-law's Congregational Church with the breakfast following Sunrise Service on Easter morning. It's a tradition I've grown to enjoy, far more than watching nieces and nephews with their egg hunts when they were young. Two years ago, I wrote a poem sharing some of my experience with this. As I'll be there once again this Sunday, it's time to reshare...

Sunrise Service

Awake before the hours
of pre-dawn light
I don my work clothes
with much delight

Before the eastern horizon
is touched by the sun
Driven to a New England church
my in-laws and I have done

Before small children have started
their annual egg hunt
Cartons of eggs, ham and equipment
were hauled by this runt

Let's not forget one important part
We also started up the coffee pot

Eggs were scrambled
ham was baked
Kitchen crew was busy
make no mistake

From set-up to break-down
and all all in between
We were an efficient crew
left every thing clean

But when it came time
and there was no praise
Some felt we deserve...

The true message
of that day reminds us... 
We are all called to Serve

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment