Friday, April 6, 2012

Birdsong!

I was awake early and heard the first hesitant calls of a bird outside my window a little before 4:30 this morning.


While many know the joys (and sometimes annoyance when one is trying to sleep in) of birdsong right outside their bedroom window, I think that New England springs spotlight it all the more for me.


In winter, there is a silence so profound you can hear falling snow softly whisper through bare tree branches, or a distant rumble-crunch of the snow plow as it trundles down Main Street. Mornings, especially in the hours before the commuter's cars and school buses, are very still and quiet.


Then spring arrives, and with it, a great multitude of birds migrate back to the area. And they bring such sweet birdsong! There is even a tradition in the Northeastern US that "It ain't Spring until you've seen your first redbreast robin."


And what was once still silence has turned into a beautiful melody greeting the morning sun, celebrating the return of life, warmth and growth.


By the Autumn, I may be among those who scowl at the birds keeping me from my sleep, but in the Spring, I bless their little hearts as my joins theirs in sweet song of life!


Sing
for
Spring

-ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment