Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Twitterpated!

A friend of mine invited me to join Twitter. Like countless others, great and small, I did. In fact, I just posted a "tweet" (if that's the correct word) that I'm writing today's blog.

I also took my YouTube account (http://www.youtube.com/user/2008HLS) out of hiatus yesterday and started responding to all the PM's (personal messages) that arrived over the past week.

So now with FaceBook, YouTube, two blogs, and Twitter, I'm definately distracted from doing the work I should be doing. It makes me wonder if this is good or bad. I certainly cannot help thinking about a story I wrote last fall, The Ant and the Grasshopper.

In Disney's Bambi there was a term, "Twitterpated," which was essentially to mean "distracted to the point where the person doesn't see or hear what else is right there in front of them." It can be the result of a spring day or being newly in love. Of late, most of the world seems "Twitterpated" by all the different ways we now connect online, including "Twitter."

I really need to unplug from the internet and allocate some time back to what is really important in life - family, neighbors, friends - instead of perpetually being online and seeking more and more contacts worldwide. While this in itself isn't bad, it is bad when it's the only thing at the sacrifice of other relationships.

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment