Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lion and the Little Mouse (Radio Play Version)

A friend asked that I send him a shorter version of a story for a YouTube video. Here's my attempt to rewrite my earlier story.

_______________________________________

Lion and the Little Mouse
(Radio Play Version)
© 2009

NARRATOR: One day a little mouse scurried through the tall autumn grass and found herself nose to nose with a sleeping lion.

LITTLE MOUSE: Oh! (as a squeak)

LION: [big yawn] Oh, what have we here?

LITTLE MOUSE: I-I'm sorry, Your Great Majesty, for disturbing your rest.

LION: Don't be afraid. What brings such a little mouse so far from her home?

LITTLE MOUSE: Oh, please, Your Majesty! I was preparing for the winter. Please just let me go and I'll be on my way. I did not wish to disturb you.

LION: Ah! But now I’m awake and I will help you.

LITTLE MOUSE: You?!? Why would the King of all the Animals want to help a little mouse like me?

LION: There may be a day when I need your help.

LITTLE MOUSE: If there is ever a time when you need my help, I am willing to do so. But you do not need to help me now, Noble Lion.

LION: Even if you believe that now, I will help you. It will make your quest easier and you will be ready for the winter. Here, I will lift you up high so you can reach what you need.

LITTLE MOUSE: Thank you, kind lion.

NARRATOR: Some days later, the lion wandered into a construction site; it was evening and abandoned by the workers for the day. There his great forepaw came down on a small steel roofing nail. The more he tried to work it out, the deeper it bit into his paw.

LION: [roar of pain]

NARRATOR: All the animals heard and ran, scampered and trotted toward the sound. But each and every one stopped at the edge of construction site.

LION: Please, help me! The nail has bitten deep into my paw; I cannot walk!

LITTLE MOUSE: Can't you see he's in pain? Why does no one help him?

PANTHER: Foolish little mouse! That's man's world. If that lion decided to enter there, he's on his own. We will not risk own hides to help him.

LITTLE MOUSE: How can you say that? Isn't he your King as well as mine? I don't care where he is, I'll go over there and help him. [sounds of scampering and panting from long run] I’m here, Noble Lion.

LION: Why is it only you come to my aide?

LITTLE MOUSE: They're afraid. I-I'm a bit frightened too, but I remembered my promise to you. I'll help if I can. But I'm so little I don't know if I can.

LION: Yes, you can help, little friend. See here; there is a nail in my forepaw and it hurts something fierce.

LITTLE MOUSE: It's such a little nail. It's actually a bit smaller than I am. I’ll try to pull it out with my forepaws. [sounds of effort]

LION: [Hiss of pain, then great sigh of relief] That is much better. You have done me a great service, little friend; I thank you.

LITTLE MOUSE: But what I did was such a small thing.

LION: Still, you have helped me where no one else would. Get up on my back and I’ll carry you home in a triumphant procession before all the animals.

LITTLE MOUSE: No thank you. I help you out of friendship, not for a reward. I'm just a little mouse, shy like all my kind.

LION: If you are certain, so shall it be, my little friend. I shall not forget this, even if everyone else does. Call on me if you ever need help again.

LITTLE MOUSE: Thank you, friend Lion. And if I can ever help you again, don't hesitate to call on me.

NARRATOR: And they were good friends ever since.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment