Thursday, August 16, 2012

Letters to Jesus

There are a few new ideas I've tried during my hiatus from Twitter. One was inspired by A Letter to God, where the author mentions she started writing letters to Jesus, following her daughter's example.
Like the author, I talk to Christ daily, but there is something different about sitting down and writing a letter by hand. For one, it takes longer than typing on a keyboard or praying with my mind. Each thought is given more time to sink in, and to acknowledge a response.
A few weeks ago, I started to write to Him. When I don't have time for a letter, I use the little note cards that are stacked in the drawer with no where to go, especially the little angel ones my niece gave me for a birthday gift. It seemed appropriate.
I even took it a step further. I mailed them! Tight on funds, I didn't affix postage to it, but the US Postal Service doesn't deliver into Heaven (as far as I know). But I did address the front as "To Jesus, In Heaven" and placed it in my local blue drop box.
Logic says that the letter, without a return address nor any identification inside, will go to the "dead letter" office. But so do MANY letters to Santa Claus each year.
I also am aware that some of those letters are read, in some effort to help those in need. Will someone read a letter addressed to Jesus? I don't know, but it's an interesting thought.

While the letter is personal, I am not the only one going through these thoughts, emotions and spiritual steps to growth. In a way, we read much the same on some blogs, and find some hope and inspiration when our own lives parallels the bloggers.
Who is to say the same will not happen with the letters and notes I send? Who is to say that they don't eventually reach Christ's hands? Or that He doesn't use them to reach another?
I don't know what happens when I mail them. But I know I find myself calmer and closer to His heart when I do write them. The mailing is an added step of faith.
If you were to write to God, what would you say?
Why not try your hand and pen one today?
~ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment