Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lament (Poem)

I heard the news today and with much fuss,
I curse the distance that stands between us.

Can it be true?
What they say about you?
From occasional drink to mind-numbing every night?
My dear friend, that is just not right.

Were I able, I'd be at your home this very night,
Throwing out the liquor and any alcohol in sight!
Think to get more; you wouldn't get far.
I have thrown myself atop someone's car.
But I'd rather damage a friend's car
Than bury that friend ~ by far!

My poor friend, I hope you come to know
I love you dearly and curse the miles so!!!
Acknowledge your struggle and pain I certainly do.
But I can not stay silent knowing what abuse can do.
You've started down that path; I've seen it before.
Job loss, totaled car, illness, death, so much more.
:(

Pain, disgust and despair;
These I know can lead you there.
Please don't let yourself this way be.
I thought you FOUGHT all things from the enemy.

Tell me to shut up, that I don't know anything.
That my words are nonsense; that I can be downright mean!
That I don't have the right to tell you how to live.
I'd rather you'd hate me, than face the alternative.

My dear friend, before I loose you,
Please, please open your eyes!
The unnumbered miles between us
Would not encompass my desperate cries!


-ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment