Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Enemy Action

I believe there are fallen angels that delight in misleading human souls away from God's Grace. But I also believe there is much laid at the adversary's feet that ... well, let's just say it's undeserved credit.

I remember a silly custom my grandmother tried - and failed - to pass on to my generation. If you spilled the salt or knocked over the salt shaker, you had to scoop salt up with your right hand and throw it over your left shoulder. Why? Because the devil, sitting on your left shoulder, made you spill the salt, so you hit him in the eye with it.

While that is just a silly little superstition, there are many things people will blame on the adversary. While interference does happen, it is not anywhere near the regularity some accuse. "The devil made me do it" has become a common phrase today, included with some humor. But many still wholeheartedly believe that every little wrong they do is because of the adversary.

Please, people take some credit for your own actions and inactions! Blaming the adversary on our own shortcomings leaves us wide open to two grave issues.

First, we do not take responsibility for our own actions and continue to do as we have done, never learning nor correcting the error of our ways. Saying "the devil made me do it" enables people to alleviate themselves of both the blame and the responsibility.

Second, we give the adversary more power over our lives. When we believe that we can be swayed to the adversary's will, that belief opens a door we do not want opened. We become more readily swayed and, coupled with not accepting the responsibility, open ourselves to further mischief and malevolent behaviors.

When I fail, I can be tempted to say, "Ah, the devil's messing with my life." But after some thought, I take greater delight shouting out, "Heck, I'm not going to give that bitch the credit. I'm going to fix it and move on!" :D

Take responsibility
For our thoughts
For our actions

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment