Monday, January 11, 2010

One of Them

In addition to the previous post, I'd like to mention another response to Avatar.
In the movie, there are bio-technological hybrid bodies, called avatars that a human can remotely control to interact with Pandora's indigenous humanoid race. While the concept of remote-mind-controlled devices isn't new (especially in science-fiction), I recall wishing I had one too to go in and help the locals.
As I sat in the theater, caught up in the movie, I found myself longing to be part of that world. Not just a visitor, but like Jake Sully, able to be ONE with the people, learn their ways, interact with them on their level in a body just like theirs...
Then something blossomed in my mind. What about this world?
Am I not a part of this world? Have I not learned the ways of this world and interact with the indigenous humanoids of this world? Do I not already possess a body just like theirs?
What, then, is the difference between going several light-years away and helping another race of humanoids and staying right here and helping the ones in this world? There exists here the same corruption, corporate greed and overuse of military power here as what was shown in the movie.
What is stopping me from trying? Why do I long to help another far away, but run and hide from the same here?
- ESA

1 comment:

  1. Normally, I don't comment on my own blog posts, but this kept going through my head the last few days.

    When I wrote, "I found myself longing to be part of that world. Not just a visitor, but like Jake Sully, able to be ONE with the people, learn their ways, interact with them on their level in a body just like theirs..." I wondered in the back of my mind, Was this what Yeshua / Jesus felt before he came into this world to help us?

    ReplyDelete