Sunday, January 31, 2010

Love (Poem)

LOVE

If I speak in the languages of this world and beyond
But have not Love
I am only broadcasting meaningless background noise
Serving only to draw attention to myself
And draw attention away from that which needs to be heard

If I have the gift of prophecy
And can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge
And if I have a faith that can move mountains
But have not Love
I am nothing
And my understanding becomes only self-serving
As I crow my own praises to the spotlight I seek

If I give all I possess to the poor
And help in all the good works I can
And surrender my body to the pain in this world
But have not Love
I gain nothing
For those acts become self-serving
Limited to a biography or resume/CV

Love is patient
Love is kind
Love does not envy
Love does not boast
Love is not proud
Love not rude
Love is not self-seeking

Love is not easily angered

Love keeps no record of wrongs
Love does not delight in evil
But rejoices with the Truth

Love does not limit
Love does not exclude
Love does not divide
Love embraces all

Love forgives

Love always protects
Love always trusts
Love always hopes
Love always perseveres

Love never fails
In the Master Plan

But where there are prophecies, they will cease
Where there are tongues, they will be stilled
Where there is knowledge, it will pass away

For what we know is only a part
And what we prophesy is only a part
But when perfection comes
The imperfect disappears

When I was a child
I talked like a child
I thought like a child
I reasoned like a child

When I became an adult
I came to understand as an adult
I reason like an adult
I may still play like a child
But should always LOVE as a child
With all of my being - unreserved

Our understanding in All that Is
Is but a poor reflection
In a mud-splattered window
There will come a day when we will
See face to face
Understand with unfettered mind
Love without worldly limits

Now I know a small part
Then I shall understand fully
Even as I am fully understood now

There are three things
That are found in every human soul:
Faith
Hope
And Love
The greatest of these is Love.
Based on 1Corinthians 13
-ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment