Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti

While many are blogging on Haiti, I thought I would just add my own quiet thoughts.

I've heard some say that Haiti is one of the signs of the end times.
I've heard some say that Haitians made a pact with the devil and this is their undoing.
I've heard some say that God is using Haiti to show the world His Power and that He's really pissed.
I've heard some say that Christ is working down there as more are recovered alive from the rubble.
I've heard some say that Haiti is an opportunity for the world to show some Love and kindness.

I've heard stories that there is pillaging among the ruins.
I've heard stories that there is lynching of those caught pillaging.
I've heard stories that there are women and girls raped in the aftermath.
I've heard stories that these rapes have happened long before the earthquake.

I've heard stories that donations are diverted to administration.
I've heard stories that some collecting for Haiti are lining their pockets.
I've heard stories that we all need to watch for those who call looking for money for Haiti.
I've heard stories that food and water sit on the tarmac as logistical problems are being worked on.


If one spends just an hour on Twitter, talks with a group of people, or watches a string of news footage, there are many good and bad things heard about post-quake Haiti.

My take is simply this: These are people that are hungry and homeless and many are desperately poor. With our global connectedness today, we can no longer see someone that needs help in a part of our world and claim they are not OUR NEIGHBORS.

Haiti was a desperately poor country - there are others in this world too, but we forget that.

Then something happens that brings the area to news around the world - and the world responds.

It's occurred to others too: can one answer as to "Why Haiti?" be because we - the HUMAN RACE - need to be more aware of what is going on in the rest of the world? Can we be active in helping our neighbors?

The global outreach to Haiti seems to state clearly - Yes, we can.

How often do we turn off, tune out or flip the channel away from the commercials and infomercials that show hungry children in "remote" parts of the world? How often do we avert our eyes from the homeless and hungry within a mile or two from where we live?

Times are lean economically for MANY people today. Personally, though, I've found it hard to take that first bite of a burger or dig into a healthy dinner plate without the thought that many in the world are very VERY hungry and will not have such...

My heart is gladdened - it SINGS - when I see and hear about people helping those in Haiti.
Then I wonder... how long will it last?
Like the cartoonist.

- ESA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: Credit given to Tom Toles whose political cartoon is above.

No comments:

Post a Comment