Monday, November 9, 2009

Relearning Trust

I wanted to share something I found quite remarkable.

This morning, I spoke with the manager of a local bagel shop asking if they could be a clothing donation drop-off point for the local homeless. She refused with the same excuse I've heard last year from the prior manager. I paused to take a sip of coffee and work on how I would word the argument. But in that pause, the woman continued to speak.

So instead of interrupting, I listened.

As the woman spoke, she actually talked herself into agreeing with the idea. She pointed out how convenient it would be, as people stop off at her bagel shop on their way to work. She indicated how often she had driven around for months with potential donations in her car, with no time in her busy day to drop it off at a place outside of her routine. And more.

I didn't need to say a word; Another was talking.

Last week, I heard someone comment that we need to place more trust in God. Sadly I will admit, it's very hard to put my complete trust in God that He will help. I know it intellectually, believe it in my heart. But when it comes into putting that into practice...

... I falter often.

And then I'm given a little reminder, like this morning. Seeing this helps me in a way beyond what I can put in words.

I am small in a Creation far greater than what my mind can understand. I need to learn to be like a child and reach out my hand in complete trust, letting God guide me and help me get things done.

Each day of my life.

- ESA

2 comments:

  1. amen......good advice. I trust she is a drop off location now, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only was she a drop off location, but the sign led a woman with a car-load of donations (and other donors)to our group. The shelter was VERY happy for the donations. We plan on repeating this next year. :D

    ReplyDelete