Saturday, December 15, 2012

Gethsemane, Connecticut

Like many fellow "Nutmeggers," my husband and I attended one of countless vigils held last night in Connecticut, praying for the small town of Newtown.
During the prayer vigil, there were many shared prayers, and a few hymns sung -- one of which touched me deeply.The words were simple and repeated somberly. "Stay with me. Pray with me. Be with me tonight."
I couldn't help but think of Christ's words to His disciples at Gethsemane. It was a night of wordless fear and anguish. And it was a night when He placed His complete Trust in God's hands, knowing God will see Him through the fear, the grief, and the pain...
Last night, Newtown residents and many others were still reeling from the shock of what happened. There is still the seventh Hanukkah Menorah candle a young child did not light at sunset last night. There is still the gifts waiting hidden for a child that will not be there Christmas morning to unwrap. There is the Holiday Season that will now be shared without a brother, sister, child or parent.
This morning there is a silence in a house so profound that no words can describe it.
Today, the grief will set it's teeth in fully, and those directly affected will need our prayers all the more.
Last night was Gethsemane for the residents of Newton. Will we answer their unspoken request, especially during this day and those that follow?
Stay with me.
Pray with me.
Be with me....
~ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment