Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fears to Cheers

The death of Osama bin Laden has been on the news of late and a radio station I listen to even had a discussion on what our reaction should be. I had mixed feelings and searched through some tweets and blog posts to see what others thought. Some I would like to share:

RT @NiraMe: "Mommy, why are they celebrating someone being killed?"

That hit me hard with the truth behind it. When the twin towers of the World Trade Center fell, the media showed some parts of the world celebrating the death of Americans, whom they considered the enemy. We shook our heads at their disgraceful behavior. Why do some Americans now behave the same way, when our declared enemy falls? Are we any different?

I think my feelings are best reflected by these words, which many have posted around the net:

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. ~Jessica Dovey

Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

My own words cannot outshine
The famous quotes
In the above lines

- ESA

1 comment:

  1. Credit to this post, which led me to the correct sources for the quotes above: http://jennajasso.com/mlk-i-mourn/

    ReplyDelete