Friday, May 13, 2011

Apology

Like many, I can get short-tempered and snappy at times. This often leads to cross words I later regret, such as what happened yesterday between myself and a dear friend. While stewing over the words traded, I contacted another friend and received an unexpected bit of valuable advice.
This friend said he has a great relationship with his wife because they both learned to apologize to each other. Even when one feels they were not the one in the wrong, there is the realization that at least 20% of the blame falls with all parties in an argument. Sometimes that small 20% can be what leads to the remaining 80% in the fight.
When I read these words, I realized that what had my own back up was that I wanted to stand on the “high ground” of the argument I just had. I wanted to be the person who was “right” and the other would thus be “wrong.” Further, I realized the driving force behind that feeling was simply my ego. So I swallowed my pride and apologized to my dear friend. I didn’t demand or expect an apology in return, nor did I elaborate on “my side” and continue the needless debate. The issue was a petty one in the grand scheme of things, and certainly not worth losing a good friend.
A simple apology
May open the door
That I just slammed shut

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment