Thursday, May 20, 2010

Punched in the Gut

My blog is going to take a bit of detour. I still have stuff in my head and heart I want to share, but right now life keeps throwing me for a few loops. I hope my readers don't mind. What I share may be far more personal than people are comfortable about reading. But I'm inspired by others, like Hetty (@AliveInMe), who have gone through far worse situations and shared their stories. If people pay counselors hundreds of dollars to listen, maybe there is something about having an opportunity to just say what's going on in life and how we feel about it.

For those that follow me on Twitter, I know I appear happy, upbeat and positive most of the time. But I get knocked down too. Today I think I reached a point where I needed to step back - including leaving the office - just to deal with what got handed me.

As my readers don't know much of this story, I will give you some background. My husband and I have tried unsuccessfully for years to have children. In 2006, I had a seriously bad miscarriage. I bled heavily from the start, hemorrhaged badly three times - blood literally pouring out of me, several trips to the hospital and mandatory bed rest. We lost that child - for all I know children... there were "fetal tissues" lost during the first major hemorrhage, but they still had a heartbeat. I lost 30 pounds over that pregnancy, when one usually gains weight. During the D&C I hemorrhaged again so badly the doctor had to call in another doctor and performed the procedure blindly via ultrasound.

A few months later, my father passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at the young age of 64. His mother is still alive today and our family is known for longevity, so none of us were prepared for this. My mother has relied on our help since then, especially as my siblings have kids to care for and we didn't.

My husband and I were looking at adoption even before that pregnancy, and were working with DCF. We reached the point when we could go no further with them until we showed them the bedrooms we would have for the child. That required a larger home than our small apartment. We were shopping for a house and put several offers on a home we loved two months after my father died - less than a year after the miscarriage. None were accepted and soon thereafter our Realtor quit the profession.

Our house hunt faltered as helping my mother and brother, who was both ill and going through a divorce, took priorities.

All through this, every month I had my "visitor", I would flash back to those horrific moments I had blood pouring out of me and feared I was pregnant and miscarrying again. Several of these were late - and as we were trying, they may have been early term misscarriages. There were also months where I missed altogether and had my doctor confirm I was starting early menopause - younger than 40 years of age.

It didn't help matters that over the last few years I've been getting 6-month mammographies and "paps" for abnormalities and potential breast and cervical cancers. But at least I was monitoring those ready to spring into action to resolve it if something should arise.

Last summer the sole income for the company that employs me filed for bankruptcy. While I wasn't let go with all the other employees, my job barely hung on by a thread. As my husband has been out of work since 2001, I am the only income and we faced loosing it.

Months stretched on and tensions mounted. We never had time to come to emotional terms with our losses as we were busy.

Then a few months ago, I snapped! Our home was in complete disorder and disrepair, cluttered to the point we couldn't move freely. My husband and I shared less and less; we were moving apart. While we started to clear out the clutter, I uncovered the books and paperwork associated with my pregnancy and I just suddenly burst out in sobs of loss.

As grief counseling was the rational approach, I contacted my OB-Gyn for references. On one of my 6-month visits we discussed pregnancy and the doctor revealed that "it is medically determined that is dangerous for you to become pregnant." This in no way helped alleviate my fears each month.

So after careful consideration and reviewing all the options, my husband and I decided that I should go for a tubal ligation ("getting my tubes tied") as a means of ensuring I couldn't get pregnant. The surgery was scheduled for tomorrow.

I was prepared mentally, emotionally, and physically. A few weeks ago, my husband and I even had a ceremony saying farewell both to the one pregnancy we did know, and those we will never know. I may share this ceremony with my readers on a different post later.

Then I went for my pre-op appointment yesterday. Everything I could do I did, ready to face infertility, surgery and move forward ready to restart the adoption process without the "you're the alternative" mentality that could result from an unresolved miscarriage. That challenge was ready to be faced and the book ready to close.

Then we spoke with the doctor....

There are a few issues that came up. When my cervix is dilated - I hemorrhage. There is some "unknown structure" inside my uterus; any contact with which can lead to devastating results. There's no way to try to know what this "fibrous" thing except a biopsy. If they cannot open my cervix for the biopsy, that means surgery. This, as the doctor told me this morning, may mean a full hysterectomy decided by the doctor when I'm in that surgery.

So now, tomorrow's surgery is canceled and we face a few more hurdles and decisions to make. In the interim, abstinence has become a frustrating friend of mine as I fear getting pregnant. I joked with my husband about joining a convent - lol.

It's a mental struggle and an emotional and financial roller-coaster, but a process of life all the same.

I know so many others who have it far worse that we do. But I do ask that if I fail to write in my blog or go silent on Twitter for a spell, not getting back to people as I should, please understand. Some days I need to go and hide to help me deal with what is on my own plate.

Some days life just punches you in the stomach.

- ESA

4 comments:

  1. Oh precious one.... you know Jesus has you in His arms... even when IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE IT. Out of everything... when we keep our focus with our hearts on Him... and when we do fall... get back ON HIS SADDLE and re focus.. He loves us always just the same. And His plans-that are way more marvelous than ours-will be laid out-in HIS TIMING. And with many we see-we look back at understanding a decent percentage-and Thank Him so much!!! As for we see WHY He planned it all HIS WAY. Our way would have been awful. Just hard to see that in the storm. I feel it girl-a decade of me finding Him while in this seemed like never ending, hospitalization for several reason-storms!! But His purpose prevails NOW-and still is. He is never done!! KNOW THAT!!!! With both of you!!! He wants you on the "Jesus Saddle" out there sharing His love -thru your good and storms!!! So people know the amazing reality of our Lord.
    God bless you precious one--praying for you and with you as Jesus guides you to HIS will and plans laid out!!!
    In His Love,
    Hetty @AliveinMe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind and hope-filled words, Hetty.

    I know Yeshua/Jesus is with me. This is one of the moments He carries me, like the Footprints poem tells us. :)

    I've never heard the "Jesus Saddle" metaphor before, but I like it. :D

    I do know He Loves me dearly and will help me get through all of this. But little sister's can whine to their Big Brother once in a while, right? ;-)

    Thanks for your love, friendship, prayers and support. :D

    - ESA/@JesusSister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly no... I don't get the whine to my Big Brother... I know my Father and my father... but my big brother whines to me... very very long story-- and I pray for him every day... as I dropped him off to my parents house today.. as for I don't have medication here for him, nor do we carry anymore alcohol... (hubby used to have wine my brother would go thru in seconds...) but since we don't have his crutches.... he "had" to leave. This has been going on for years since he fell apart with big addiction. I look at what I went thru I see how my eyes opened. His stay shut... flutter open at times. But I keep praying. But people like you.. you eyes ARE wide open.. you see the trials... you see the failings... you see the blessings.. you see OUR GOD.. and even on bitter days... your heart is LESS hard than you ever think. Keep it going...
    As I say... Saddle Up!! :) The rides may seem bumpy... but Victory is along the way... and totally in the END! :)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any older siblings, and being the eldest means more shouldered responsibilities. I have Christ as my Big Brother though. I think we all need someone to help us shoulder our burdens in life. And it's amazing how much He does shoulder for us...

    I whine and bitch sometimes. I remember my first words to Him after hearing that my father died suddenly was "You're not making this easy!" But life is not easy or even fair. But it does help knowing that He is there. (Ack! I just slipped into my rhyme mode didn't I. :P)

    My sympathies about your brother. My husband and I have had a number of alcoholics in my family and among our friends. One friend was flabbergasted when I literally threw myself on the hood of his car (and I was about 240 at the time!) to keep him from driving home when he could barely walk. I guess I can be a bit determined... *mischievous grin*

    I've even had an online friend start down that road and, I must confess, I didn't know how to reach through to him: http://eveningstaraglow.blogspot.com/2010/04/lament.html

    Hearts like ours are open to another; we put out our hand and pray for them. Sometimes all we can do is have faith that Christ will do the rest.

    You and your family are in my prayers. :*(

    - ESA/@JesusSister

    ReplyDelete