Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Buzzing Trust

My husband placed a lot of trust into my hands. With our ever-shrinking budget, he opted not to spend the $18 for a haircut, but let me "give it a whirl" instead. Of course, my choice of words weren't that encouraging.
I've been cutting my own hair for years now, as I mostly trim my ends and bangs. I even cut it short myself one year, without the benefit of a beautician to make sure the back was even.
I can't say it was pretty, as I titled the picture "Stop with the scissors!" But for the most part, I haven't seen looks of utter shock or heard giggles behind me.
So Saturday I was all set to cut my husband's hair, scissors in hand. I walk into the bathroom and paused as he handed me this strange torture device I've seen him apply to his face from time-to-time. He uses it to trim his beard, but apparently it's what the barber uses to cut his hair, only using the scissors to add the finishing touches.
I have never - ever - used a buzz clipper. I didn't even know how to turn it on. Now, most common-sense people would have run screaming from the bathroom straight to the barber down the block. But my husband patiently showed me how to turn it on and use it. Then let me have a wack at his hair.
It's often said that a great deal of trust is placed in the hands of a barber or beautician, as your hairstyle is part of your image, what others will see of you and - sadly too often - how they will judge you.
My husband placed that trust in me, and I didn't even know how to use the tools. That says A LOT about the level of trust that he has in me - and the amount of love and respect for me that he holds in his heart.
For that I am truly grateful. :)
~ ESA

Images: Bottom from Kenny Jones Radio website. Top is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment