Thursday, September 13, 2012

Big E

To many, "The Big E" simply may mean an over-sized letter of the alphabet. But to those in this corner, September brings a unique fair. New England is made up of six States: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The Big E is a combination of a State Fair for all six New England states, and a small version of a world's fair. It has exhibits, vendors and performances from around the world.
This post is not to advertise The Big E - they certainly do enough advertising themselves. But I did want to share what it means to my husband and I. For a lengthier description of all the stuff I look forward to each year, please see my earlier post from two years ago.
For the past dozen years, we've attended this fair several days each year, often purchasing a season pass for the 17-day long event. The majority of the time is spent catching up with many vendors, performers, volunteers and others we see year-after-year. For us, it's a reunion.
There is a broomsquire that hand-crafts brooms, using broom straw he harvests himself, working in one corner of the village green of the colonial village within the fair grounds. In 2009, when he didn't make his appearance, many were concerned and called him up. You'd be amazed how much it feels like family.
There are many happy moments too, my husband and I somehow were roped into an exhibition to support local farms of CT. While my husband is the chef at home, here I am making breakfast for strangers one Saturday. How do you like your omelet?
And just because I have officially taken a vacation day to attend opening Friday doesn't mean my boss can't schedule a conference call. Yet today we now have the technology to take calls from anywhere, including the fair grounds. I laugh with this shot, commenting that I put up with the work "bull -- well you know" even on my vacation  - and I have pictures to prove it!

 
 
At the close of The Big E, one of our traditions is to attend Sunday Mass under the Big Top, which I've blogged about here.
Tomorrow is opening day, and my husband and I look forward to seeing our many friends again. So with a smile, I share a simple video that shows several snapshots the year I went ga-ga with the camera, trying to capture every little moment. Did you know you can grow pumpkins large enough to be boats?
 Nowadays, I leave the camera home and capture the moments with my heart.
Happy Fall!
~ESA
 
Images: all are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment