Saturday, September 18, 2010

From Me to We

A few months ago, someone suggested I change the way I think and pray. Each time I would use the words "I" or "me", I should use the words "we" or "us". This change brings about a few things.

First, I acknowledge my connectedness to others - to everyone. There is not a thing that I do that does not affect at least one other, usually several others - and always more than I will ever realize. This includes my thoughts, as thoughts guide our actions and our responses - conscious or not. Thoughts can even affect others indirectly, whether we realize this or not.

We are none of us alone
What we send out
Into the lives of others
Comes back into our own
- E Markham


When I change "me" to "we", I eliminate the "me/you" mentality. Instead I am left with the awareness that whatever my impact on another - good or bad - will likewise impact myself. Who in their right mind would want to harm themselves? Thus this kind of thinking should lead to love, compassion, empathy, kindness and generosity.

Further, by thinking "we" instead of "me" I work towards what will be beneficial to us all, not what is beneficial to me alone and the rest are on their own. If I pray for Love, Guidance, Help from God - I do it not just for myself, but for all.

This works both ways. When I hold grudges against someone, I am holding my own guilt like a dark shade of bias and prejudice before my eyes. Thus is why Christ instructs that when we forgive, we are forgiven - by thinking in terms of "we", I either condemn myself when I condemn another or free both of us together.

I will admit, though, this change is a slow process. There are many times I still use the words "I" and "me" and think within the boundaries of my own skin. It's not easy to change, but it is possible. It's amazing how far-reaching thoughts, words or actions can be sometimes when I do hold "we" in mind, rather than just "me." Where I may not be able to do something alone - there is nothing WE cannot do when we work together.

When we work together
Something wondrous happens
We accomplish far more
Than the sum of our individual efforts.


- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment