Monday, September 13, 2010

Amish Neighbor (Story)

This story was passed on to me recently and I wanted to share with my readers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A family moved into Lancaster County in Pennsylvania, an area known for its Amish residents. As the family's belongings were being hauled in by the movers some local Amish paused to watch with the father as the seemingly endless stream of belongings moved from the large truck into the newly built house.

Upon seeing the computers, large high-definition plasma-screen TV, smaller flat-screen TVs and an assortment of other high-tech items, one of the Amish turned to the father and commented, "I see you have a lot of high-end technology."

"Yes, we try to keep up with it."

"Well, sir, if you ever have any trouble with it, let me know and I can help you out."

Shocked, the father turned to his Amish neighbor and eyed him up and down. Amish were known as simple folk, living without cars, electricity and most of modern technology. "I'm surprised. And curious. If you don't mind my frankness, how does an Amish man like yourself come to learn how to fix and operate this stuff?"

The Amish man smiled gently, "I didn't say anything about fixing it. I can teach you how to live without it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment