Thursday, August 12, 2010

Birthday Blessings

"You did WHAT for your birthday?" That's the response I've been hearing for much of this week and may continue to hear until this week's close. Yesterday was my birthday. I spent the day at a church several miles away, hauling and sorting a truckload of donated items. And, yes, that is exactly what I wanted to do for my birthday.

When I see or hear about someone sincerely helping another, there is this warmth and Love that wells up from deep inside me. But much of my life I've been an outcast, and often only see that loving act from the outside. Rarely could I participate in it too.

Not only was I an outcast during my school years, low income can also make one an outcast. Practically all of my local organizations that have volunteer opportunities require membership for insurance purposes. "Membership" means about $200/year per person plus a monthly meeting fee of $25-$45 each "but they do feed you a nice dinner too" (as one person told us). So far, the VFW was the only one in our town that allows my husband and I to volunteer without membership. I've even tried the Girl Scouts, which is only $10/year for adult membership, but because I have never been blessed with children, the local GS troop leaders looked quite askance upon me every time I offered my services. :(

A few weeks ago, we were visiting my in-laws in a rural part of the state. In their church bulletin was a note asking for volunteers to help. The date they really needed volunteers coincidentally was my birthday, so I opted to take a vacation day and pitch in.

As I said, there is such a special joy when I see people helping each other. There is a value added beyond measure when an outcast like myself can become part of the group - especially when part of a positive act.

Thank you.
From my heart.

-ESA

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following http://twitter.com/jesusbranch
    I like your writing in "Evening Star Aglow" blog & isn't www.blogger.com user friendly.
    God bless you & yours, Robert @jesusbranch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a loyal reader but i dont like to comment usually, but these days i just thought i would let you know my thanks. cheers!

    ReplyDelete