Sunday, February 14, 2010

Blind Goals

"Thy Will Be Done"

~ Words spoken in the Our Father / Lord's Prayer
~ Words felt keenly by Christ in the garden of Gethsemane
~ Words that are very difficult to live by, especially when I am blind to what God's Will is in my life


It is one thing to know a goal - whether or not I agree with it, find it difficult or even impossible - and work my way through whatever obstacles and challenges to reach that goal. It is another thing entirely to not know that goal... but still work my way blindly forward to achieve it.

Why would I work toward a goal I do not see or understand? Why would God place such a goal in my hands and expect me to reach it?

Two reasons:

First, I am not God. I am not all-seeing, all-knowing; there is a much greater knowledge and understanding of what is going on in everything from my small, personal life to the vast reaches of all Creation.

So if I try to reach a goal - I'll be doing it MY way. Many times the ends does not justify the means. Many times what I will do to reach a goal will actually hinder my efforts - or worse - harm another or their efforts in obtaining their goals. There is often a better way of reaching the goal, even when I'm not aware of it.

That leads to the second reason: TRUST.

If I don't know where I'm going or - more precisely - what I need to do in this world, I need to learn to put more trust in God that I will be guided.

It is hard. I get in my own way time after time. Often I see a glimmer of what I think is the goal and I take reins back and say, "Thanks, I'll take it from here" and wind up misdirected.

But whenever I run into a dead-end, God is there - sometimes laughing at me; sometimes laughing with me - ready to take my outstretched hand and guide me again to His Will in my life.

Yes, there is also the risk of being misguided by others. That is where prayer helps - an open two-way communication - AND walking with my eyes open even though I don't see the distant goal ahead.

Just because I am blind to my life's goals doesn't mean I am blind about my own actions and what is happening around me. I still am responsible for my own actions, the words I speak / write, the works of my own hands, and the times I've stood aside and did nothing.

In addition to the two aforementioned reasons, I've just thought of another.... How many times have I worried, thought about, planned, dreamed and imagined what the future will be like - anything from what will happen in the far distant future to what will I have for lunch today? Too often.

In my mind I often live in the past or the future and fail to live in the NOW. To simply "BE" in my life. But that is where my life really should be lived; the rest is just in my head. The present is where the biggest impact is made in life - mine and how I impact the lives of others.

So I should learn from the past
Let God take care of the future
And put my Trust in His guidance

- ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment