Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wings (Poem)

This is something I remember from my very early childhood. I don't know if it was something I was told or just made up myself, but I'd like to share it here. I think it's a beautiful allegory.

-------------------------------------

When we are born, we are given a pair of wings. (\/)
These wings cannot be seen or felt. (\/)
But they are with us all our lives. (\/)

At the very moment we are born, (\/)
The wings are just the right size. (\/)
But as we grow and age, (\/)
The wings need to grow with us. (\/)
If not, they will fail. (\/)

As we live our lives, (\/)
The good that we do in this world cause these wings to grow. (\/)
The bad that we do in this world cause the wings to shrink. (\/)
If we do nothing, they will fail. (\/)

At the end of our lives, a trap door opens beneath our feet. (\/)
If our wings aren't strong enough, (\/)
They support the weight of our lives on our souls (\/)
-we fall! (\/)

If they can support us (\/)
But not large enough to let us to soar like an eagle, (\/)
We still have some work to do. (\/)

But if our wings are full and strong, (\/)
They can carry us into the Glories of Heaven above. (\/)
And there, our souls will rejoice! (\/)

-----------------------------------------------------------

How fares your wings? (\/)
Will you fall? (\/)
Or soar! (\/)

-ESA

1 comment:

  1. I actually never heard that before! I loved it. Thanks for sharing it. :D

    ReplyDelete