Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Comfort Zone

Recently, I've had to wrap my mind around something which caused me to evaluate myself in a whole new light. What I discovered: truth is not always a bright rainbow in a cloudless sky. Truth can make us uncomfortable. Truth can be scary. Truth can even hurt.

When I faced this, I would always run back to my comfort zone. I would turn back to that which I knew, the way I thought the world was and will always be. Then I either become lost in the lies I wrap around myself once again, or I see the wrappings as lies and they rot in my hands as I stretch them ever thinner before the truth.

Often when one says, "When we step out of the comfort zone, we grow," they speak of learning something new. Whether it it developing a new talent, making a new friend or moving to a new area, this will be true. But that statement also reflects the reality of facing the truth.

If I step away from my comfort zone, step away from the familiar untruths and face the truth, I can learn and grow. In the end, that growth far outweighs any discomfort, fear and pain I feel. Yes, I swallow hard, feel the blood pulsing through my rapidly beating heart, take a deep shaky breaths and experience the tears streaming down my face. It is not easy.

That growth makes me stronger, able to get through even greater challenges ahead and gives me what I need to help others get over the hurdle I just faced. It takes courage - a LOT of courage - and faith. I had the faith to know I was not alone as I struggled to face the truth and learn from it, change with it. That, I believe, made a tremendous difference.

What is this truth? There are many truths that will be revealed to a person in life. Sometimes many times, sometimes only once. Some know one truth but not others that are waiting to be discovered and learned from. Each provides a chance to grow inside. And many times, truth can be something very personal yet very profound.

I will admit, there are times even after I've struggled through once, that I will tend to hide in my comfort zone when I face another. It gives me smoother sailing during my day, but at night leaves me to wonder what opportunity for growth have I just let slip past. Was I too asleep in my comfort zone? Or did I give in to the fear and run hiding like a child who's afraid of the dark?
I should stop doing that. It is hard, but possible.

I know fear is used to keep me from knowing and understanding the truth - fear of what people will say, fear of what I will find out, fear of the unknown, fear of the discomfort and pain... but mostly fear that I will have to realize I was wrong! For some reason, that seems to be the most difficult for me to overcome. I can admit I was wrong. I can apologize for being wrong. But when it comes to REALIZING deep within my heart, mind and soul that I WAS wrong is very, VERY scary and can even be painful. That seems to drive me back to the comforting lies more than anything else.

And it shouldn't.

That's where my resolve to do right and be a righteous person is tested the hardest it seems. The biggest battles are often fought within the heart.

But I continue to strive, and will as long as I'm alive...
To keep stepping out of that comfort zone...
And grow.

-ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment