Saturday, October 4, 2014

Happy Yom Kippur

I want to share a recent exchange with a friend. Yesterday evening, knowing she recently started to celebrate Jewish Holidays, I wished her "Happy Yom Kippur."
Her response was: "Yom Kippur is not a good day. Never say 'happy.' Always say good luck on your fast. To some Jews, saying 'happy' is disrespectful. Saying 'Happy Yom Kippur" is disrespectful. Very serious day."
This morning, I had a chance to read her text and respond:
From what I read and understand, Yom Kippur is the Day of Penance/Reconciliation very much like our solemn Sacrament in the Church. We self-examine, discover what is wrong/keeping us from God, go to God, lay it on the table and ask for God's Forgiveness. God then Forgives us of our past transgressions, frees us from what keeps us apart (from God and each other), and enables us to receive God's Blessings during the Jewish year.
Why would Yom Kippur NOT be a happy day? It is the day Jews get right with God on a personal level. I believe GOD is very happy with that.
It is with this in mind and heart, I wish my readers, HAPPY YOM KIPPUR! May you be right with GOD and may the coming year bring many bright Blessings for you.
~ ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment