Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bumper Sticker

While I walk to my job, I had to travel into the nearest city recently. On the way in, I encountered rush-hour traffic.
While my old Jeep crawled along, trying to navigate into the adjacent lane before the current lane became a one way trip into the river below, I encountered "I will NOT let you cut in ahead of me" driving. One driver shoved her way around my Jeep's nose, virtually riding the bumper of the car before her.
Fortunately the semi-truck driver behind her honored my change-lane signal. As I waved my thanks to the truck-driver, my eyes fell upon the bumper sticker on that woman's car. It was for the local Christian radio station.
The thought "That's not a very Christian way of acting" immediately jumped to mind. Then, just shy of the Holy Spirit smacking me upside the back my head, that impression was corrected by the reminder that I also have a Christian radio station bumper sticker too.
What kind of example do I make when I am in a hurry, or down, or angry, or judgmental... ?
Two days after Christmas, I will drive my mother into the heart of New York City to park as close as possible to Rockefeller Center so she can see the Christmas tree and attend the Radio City Rockettes show. Will I ride the bumper of the car before me, as my mother shouts directions from beside me?
Or will I let people - likely equally stressed - merge in?
What about other aspects of my life? When do I slow down and let another life merge into mine, helping reduce some of their stress?
The truth is that we represent what we believe in, whether or not we have a bumper sticker on our car or any other symbol we wear on our person. Our actions teach others, far more than our words ever will.
What do you say
Along life's way
Including today
~ ESA

No comments:

Post a Comment