Saturday, May 12, 2012

God's Messenger

For those who may not know, Hermes (pictured to the left) is the messenger of the gods. Why do I speak about a pagan god when I am Christian? Because it's a good lead into this blog post.
Each and every one of us is also a messenger of the divine.
Some may understand this to mean we have a responsibility to share the gospel or teachings of our particular religion. Others may understand this as a responsibility to spread Light and Love to the world around us.
While it can mean both, there is another role that I and others ended up playing without our awareness. That was as a courier.
Yesterday was a very busy day, starting with inventory reports I sent off at 6:30 am, followed by an off-site breakfast meeting at 7:30 am. Yet at that meeting, a colleague of mine handed me three tickets to the local baseball game. I was the last to arrive at the meeting and she asked everyone else at the table. Could I use the tickets for that night's game?
I accepted the tickets, aware that I couldn't use them myself, as I had a packed schedule through 7:30 pm, but I mentioned I could find someone who could use them.
I swung back to my apartment complex on the return trip to the office, tickets in hand. I gave them to the chief maintenance person, mentioning that they were "Tickets to the Rock Cats tonight." With a smile, he said he knew someone who could use them.
The rest of the story, I heard in hind-sight last night.
That maintenance person would have loved to go to that game, but he had mistakenly heard "The Rockettes" and thought they were for a New York City show, instead of "The Rock Cats" who are a local minor league baseball team. So he gave the tickets to a retired resident in the complex, who would enjoy a drive down to New York for the show.
That person, upon looking more closely at the tickets, realized it wasn't for the New York show but indeed a baseball game, for which he had no interest. So the tickets passed to yet another person, who loved baseball but could not afford even a minor league game.
Someone's day was brightened remarkably when he was handed three tickets to a baseball game, and had no clue in how it came to him save the last leg of the journey.
In fact, I don't even know how my colleague came into possession of those tickets, or how many other couriers were in this relay. But we all played a part as messengers of God, bringing Joy into someone's life.

~ESA

1 comment:

  1. I LOOOOOOOOVE how you never ever ever ever EVER know where a teeeeny tiiiny act of JOY will end UP!!

    this is pretty awesome!!

    thank you for sharing

    @spreadingJOY

    ReplyDelete